THE BLOG

KIM MILBURN PHOTOGRAPHY

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A time for change....and change is good

I think I have written this maybe 3 or 4 times and deleted and started over...change is hard but change is scary good.  I have been photographing, professionally for a little over, ummm 6 years and I remember my very first session, I was terrified, it was a fiery little red head, Maddie....she showed up with her momma and mom handed me my check for my session fee, it was so surreal, I was actually doing this and again I was terrified, mom also brought along their fur baby....I had props, tons of props and I captured some sweet images and knew I was where I belonged, it was easy, comfortable and so much fun..and that's how it started with a red head...I still am photographing that sweet red head but now she almost grown up and in 6th grade, man how times flies....I have enjoyed every second I have spent with my families but my photography is taking a new direction, Ive seen it coming for awhile now and resisted it, actually fought it but each time I let the thought enter in and sat and thought about it, it felt right, it felt good and it is change, big change....like I said before some may cry, some already know and it will be hard at first but I am very excited and scared out of my mind....but I strapped on my big girl panties and jumped in the deep end....while it may not work, it may fall apart I am excited...

As of January 1st I will no longer be photographing families or little ones full time, I am going to open a studio ( coming in the very near future) dedicated to Tweens, Teens and Seniors, basically 6th grade and up...while I loved photographing families and little ones, I LOVE the creativity of photographing older  kids teens.  I love being able to direct kids, pose them, do crazy fun stuff and bring out their personalities...I also love what a beautiful super cool image can do for a teen...let me back track a little, as I had been toying with the idea of this and finding a way to make it work,doubting if I should do this, I was watching all the news coverage about Asher, the little boy who committed suicide here in Cypress, it broke my heart and moved me so much and I wanted to do something anything but what can we do, what can I do...photography, its what I do...so it hit me, well really God said here it is, this is it...now go do it, don't you just love the clarity, hehe...I want to be able to give that to every teen, tween and senior...its hard to explain but I remember 6th grade and middle school, it is hard and it seems these years some of the most important years in a teens life and we forget, we forget to photograph them, now I don't mean, birthdays, Halloween, Christmas all those special moments I'm talking about portraits of your teen....you don't know how many times I hear this...its been so long since we have had images of Johny Jo, I think its been since he was in 4th or 5th grade and these are Seniors parents...I very rarely get the opportunity to capture teens, braces and all...why do we stop in those years 6th-11th...so...this is it..this is what I'm doing...my goal, my mission if you can call it one...is to inspire, encourage, show every teen that they are awesome, they do rock, they are cool!!

So when I said when these are gone ( session dates ) well this was why...now I'm not going to abandon my families I love you guys so much..I will be offering family session dates twice a year, mini's... once in the spring and one in the fall, they will be limited so keep an eye out, I will still run the newsletter and I will be letting everyone know well in advance about the mini's so keep your eyes peeled....

I want to thank everyone who has come to me in the past and trusted me to capture their families, I have enjoyed every minute and I would not be on the path I am right now without your support...so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

Britney said...

Kim, you are such a rock star with the Seniors! I just know you're going to be uber-successful with your studio! All the best to you! :)

Jana Kunz said...

Good luck and follow your heart. :)