THE BLOG

KIM MILBURN PHOTOGRAPHY

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Toys for a great cause...

I wanted to let everyone know about something that I am going to be doing that is dear to my heart, for the next 2 months before the crazy Christmas rush.

As many of you know Austin was admitted to Memorial Herman Children's Hospital, Epilepsy Ward last week. This is such a wonderful place, they take such good care of these kids and the nurses were amazing.

He spent 4 days there doing many different tests and spent most of his time there awake, they sleep deprived him and he was only allowed to sleep for 3 hours a night. All this time he was awake, we tried many thing to help keep him occupied we brought some toys from home but those soon ran out and we were trying to find things to do. There is a playroom for the children in this ward, where there are a few toys for them to play with, many of these toys were very old and worn and were left overs from other areas in the hospital. The children that were in this playroom are still hooked up to all the EEG cables and carry around a little backpacks, there were all different ages some as young as 2 and others as old as 15, they all played so well together and the room had such a peace about. These children all knew what the other was going through and it was amazing to watch them all play and interact as if they had know each other their whole lives. I asked the head nurse if this was all the toys that the room had, she replied well we dont have a budget for toys unfortunately we just have what you see here. As I looked around I saw a couple of game with torn boxes and missing pieces, there were no books and VHS tapes that were at least 10 years old, there were a couple of baby toys and one box of duplo Legos. No much for these children to play with, but no one complained they shared and laughed and swapped stories about their Epilepsy, the moms shared their concerns and worries and as we watched our children play. I asked the nurse, can the children take the toys to their rooms to play with, she said of coarse but there are not many to spread out and we have some many kids at one time so there's not much to share. This really made me very sad to know that some children can spend up to 2 weeks at a time in the EMU and only have a handful of toys to play with.

So I am on a mission, to stock that room with new toys, games, books, DVD's and I am going to try and get a Gamecube or Nintendo donated so the kids can play games while they are there to keep there minds off all they have to endure while they are there.

I am going to post this also on my blog in conjunction with my photography business.

I will be collecting new toys, books, DVD's, board games, crayons, markers, coloring books, etc., for kids ages 6 months -16yrs old.

If you would like to help, in anyway you can please contact me, I would love to be able to fill my SUV up and deliver these toys to the EMU and fill the shelves so full that every child has something to play with and stock the shelves with books and DVD to help make the many hours go by and bring some smiles to the beautiful children's faces.

Every toy big or small will be so appreciated.

If feel like you can help, bless you and if you know of anyone who would like to help let me know.

Thank you for reading this very long email

God Bless Kimberley
832-453-5670
www.photographybykimberley.com

No comments: